Sunday, January 20, 2008

Everything I need to know I learned from Disneyland... #1

We are in California for the weekend, and so, of course, we spent all day yesterday at Disneyland (it is kind of a second religion for Spencer's family).  I have always loved Disneyland, in fact, I've always called it the second happiest place on earth (after the temple of course).  Anyway, I was thinking about all the great times I've had at Disneyland and I realized that I have learned many life lessons from there. So, I decided that I will post some of them over the next few weeks.  These will be listed randomly in no order of importance.



Lesson #1 I can do it!

Several years ago, when she was six, I took my niece Taylor to Disneyland and we went on the canoe ride around Tom Sawyer island.  I don't know if you have ever been on the canoe ride, but it isn't one of those rides that is on rails like the other d-land rides.  You actually have to paddle the canoe with a group of other people, and it is actually quite a workout.  So as we begin paddling, I look over at Taylor and see that she is very focused on the task, and seems to be whispering something softly to her self.  I lean over a bit and hear her earnestly whispering "You can do it, you can do it, you can do it," over and over again.

I think it is appropriate that she said these words while in the Magic Kingdom because Disneyland itself came to be because a man told himself that he could do it, even when others said he was crazy.

Since then I have often used those words for myself when trying to overcome an illness, figure out a difficult problem or endure an bad day.  "You can do it, you can do it, you can do it," I will whisper earnestly.  It may seem silly, but those words give me the emotional boost I need to endure and to keep trying.  

The truth is, I can do it.  No matter what trial Heavenly Father decides to throw my way, I can make it through, I can succeed and I can prosper.

P.S. If the Temple is the first happiest place, and Disneyland is the second, can anyone guess what I think the third happiest place is?

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Here's my guess...at home with your sweet husband??

Trena said...

Umm...Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles?? That would probably be mine!

Miss Millie said...

Yesterday we called you to borrow some flour... now I know why you didn't call back. OH man I miss you guys. we need to do something social. Hope you're having a parteeee!

Pixie said...

3rd happiest? Umm... I say it's at a book store.