Sunday, January 20, 2008

Everything I need to know I learned from Disneyland... #1

We are in California for the weekend, and so, of course, we spent all day yesterday at Disneyland (it is kind of a second religion for Spencer's family).  I have always loved Disneyland, in fact, I've always called it the second happiest place on earth (after the temple of course).  Anyway, I was thinking about all the great times I've had at Disneyland and I realized that I have learned many life lessons from there. So, I decided that I will post some of them over the next few weeks.  These will be listed randomly in no order of importance.



Lesson #1 I can do it!

Several years ago, when she was six, I took my niece Taylor to Disneyland and we went on the canoe ride around Tom Sawyer island.  I don't know if you have ever been on the canoe ride, but it isn't one of those rides that is on rails like the other d-land rides.  You actually have to paddle the canoe with a group of other people, and it is actually quite a workout.  So as we begin paddling, I look over at Taylor and see that she is very focused on the task, and seems to be whispering something softly to her self.  I lean over a bit and hear her earnestly whispering "You can do it, you can do it, you can do it," over and over again.

I think it is appropriate that she said these words while in the Magic Kingdom because Disneyland itself came to be because a man told himself that he could do it, even when others said he was crazy.

Since then I have often used those words for myself when trying to overcome an illness, figure out a difficult problem or endure an bad day.  "You can do it, you can do it, you can do it," I will whisper earnestly.  It may seem silly, but those words give me the emotional boost I need to endure and to keep trying.  

The truth is, I can do it.  No matter what trial Heavenly Father decides to throw my way, I can make it through, I can succeed and I can prosper.

P.S. If the Temple is the first happiest place, and Disneyland is the second, can anyone guess what I think the third happiest place is?

4 comments:

MM said...

Here's my guess...at home with your sweet husband??

Trena said...

Umm...Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles?? That would probably be mine!

Camille said...

Yesterday we called you to borrow some flour... now I know why you didn't call back. OH man I miss you guys. we need to do something social. Hope you're having a parteeee!

Pixie said...

3rd happiest? Umm... I say it's at a book store.