Wednesday, January 23, 2008

3rd happiest place on earth


You all had very good guesses, but there were no winners.  The third happiest place is...

The Lincoln Memorial!  
I know, I am the geekiest person you know.  In August, 2000, I moved to Fairfax, Virginia.  A few days after I moved there, I took the Metro into DC to see the sights.  I didn't realize it at the time but I got off a few stops too early (Foggy Bottom) and had to walk several blocks to the Lincoln Memorial.  I can still picture the walk in my mind, passing by at least one embassy, seeing the Kennedy Center off to the right.  I just kept walking.  Then the road curved a bit, and all of a sudden, like a mirage, I could see the Lincoln Memorial in front of me.  A few more steps and as I looked to my left, I could see the Washington Memorial with the Capitol Building behind it.  I lost my breath for a moment, and then I began to cry.  Not with sadness, but with joy.  I felt so proud of my heritage as a citizen of this country.  I felt drawn to the Lincoln Memorial, and the closer I came, the tears fell more freely.  I felt so grateful for this great man who held our union together, no matter what it cost.  He knew the innate greatness of our country.

That is why this


is my favorite attraction at Disneyland, even though it is currently closed.  The Gettysburg Address is so short, but has had such an impact on my life.  Ironic really, when you consider his words "the world will little note, nor long remember what we say here."  Yet, I remember; and I hope that we can finish the work "which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced."  It has become fashionable to murmur about our losses in the current war on terror, but if you think about it, they are so much smaller than any generation before us has had to pay.  Their sacrifices have given us such great freedoms, how can we deny them to others?


6 comments:

Anne said...

Wow. I miss you. You are a kindred spirit, as the other Anne would say! I find that among our generation I don't often find souls as connected to our nation's noble past, and heroic present. Thanks for sharing.

Trena said...

Yes - you are a geek! I always wanted to go to D.C. (or the east coast for that matter) and have never made it. I love seeing our nation's history. Maybe one day I'll be able to make that trip.

Trena said...

P.S. I like the new look!

Camille said...

love the new blog....love this post (you know I do!)... and today mason announced that when he goes to school he wants you and spencer to be there with him so he's not alone (yes, he chose you. he didn't say mommy or daddy.)

we love you (and miss you!)

Tammy said...

Anne- a kindred spirit is exactly of how I have always thought of you.

Trena- I really want to take Spencer there. We may try to go this summer. I love the new look too. I just typed in blogger templates in google and found this one right away.

Camille- We miss you too! Between your sick baby and our vacation I feel like we haven't seen each other in weeks. Want to come over for dinner on Sunday?

Pixie said...

Love the new color scheme! And this post means that you've made me cry twice today. (I read your Hinckley testimony entry first and worked my way down the page) Oh how we miss you here in CA. ((HUGS))